We’ve written a lot about being at the Christmas table lately (or at least, how to decorate one), but it’s not just the food we’re excited about. Christmastime (and the blessed holidays that come with it) is the perfect excuse to indulge in a little tipple. And the fancier, the better, we say.
This winter’s modern vintage-inspired style calls for a revival of favourite flavours, a twist on traditional loves – the kind that make you happily nostalgic and recalls refined, dapper drawing room dinner events.
And with their warm, spiced flavours of cinnamon and star anise, this cocktail is like a little glass of Christmas (past).
Ingredients (serves six)
- 500ml of organic cloudy apple juice
- 6 cinnamon sticks
- 6 star anise pods
- 500ml premium vodka
- 1 sprig fresh mint
- 6 Tbsp freshly-squeezed lemon juice
- 330ml soda water (small bottle or can – optional)
Christmas Cocktail – step by step
1. In a small saucepan, simmer the apple juice with the cinnamon sticks and star anise. Just before it comes to a boil, remove from heat and allow to steep until it is at room temperature.
2. If you prefer a lightly spiced cocktail, remove the cinnamon sticks and star anise when making the apple mixer well in advance and reserve them for garnish later on.
3. In a cocktail shaker, shake the spiced apple juice, vodka and lemon with ice.
4. Strain into short tumblers and add a splash of sparking water. Garnish with cinnamon sticks and star anise pods.
5. Enjoy before the meal, or after your meal with dessert. Or actually, at any point during your meal, because, hey, it’s Christmas, and why not?